Factions have been completely reworked on the Britannia map to more closely align with the original UO faction system. This completely replaces the previous faction system.
Factions are a system of consensual PVP which allow players of opposing factions to engage in combat with one another anywhere- even inside of town! This makes faction play a very dangerous endeavor- and players should not take the decision to join one lightly as a result. It is typically not a system for newer players. However, the rewards for participation can be glorious!
There are three factions currently available in Britannia:
- True Britannians
To join a faction, visit that particular faction's Faction Stone, right click, and select Join Faction. Locations for these Faction Stones are available on the Official Map . To leave a faction, your must have served at least 7 days of real-world time first. You may use the same Faction Stone to resign from your faction.
There is an IP restriction on factions- you can have as many characters as you want in ONE faction. You cannot join multiple factions from the same IP.
When you join a faction, you start with 100 Kill Points (0 Silver / Deficit)
Members of opposing factions are exempt from the consequences of performing negative actions on each other so you can attack, kill and loot each other freely.
Beneficial acts still depend on a target's notoriety. For example, if you are blue, and you heal a gray group-mate, you will be performing a criminal action.
Anyone not in a faction cannot perform beneficial acts on a player that is in a faction.
Murderers cannot be part of a faction.
- When you become a murderer you are kicked out of your faction, lose all kill points and conserve what ever delay you still had to leave/join a faction to prevent abuse.
¶ Kill Points, Deficit Points, and Silver
These three measures are the most important in the world of Factions.
- Kill Points: Upon killing an opposing faction member, the killer steals 10% of the victim's Kill Points. These Kill Points are used to form the leaderboard rankings. The minimum number of Kill Points the killer receives is 1. However, if the victim is at 6 Deficit Points, no Kill Points are awarded.
- Deficit Points: If a player is killed so often that they reach 0 Kill Points, with every death they accumulate Deficit Points, up to a maximum of 6. To escape Deficit, a player must kill an opposing faction member and bring themselves above 0 Kill Points.
- Silver: Players receive 40 Silver per Kill Point gained. Currently the use for these is to deposit into a controlled Town Stone for rewards- other uses will be added later. Players can transfer silver to other players in their faction by saying “/transfersilver xxx” where xxx is the amount and targeting their faction mate who they wish to transfer to.
To view your current balance in these three, open your character window and click on your faction name on the right.
Factions will now be able to fight for control over towns. The current towns available to be controlled are Britain, Minoc, and Yew. The basic flow of this system is as follows:
- An opposing faction member steals the Town Sigil from the Town Stone controlled by another Faction
- The player turns purple to indicate they are carrying the Sigil
- The player must return the Sigil to their Faction Stone. Only one Town Sigil may be in a given Faction Stone at once.
- After 24 hours (real world time) of the Sigil remaining in the Faction Stone, that Faction takes control of the city.
- For 3 days (real world time) after capture, the town cannot be recaptured by another Faction. After that, the city becomes vulnerable.
- A successful town capture deposits 5000 silver into that Town Stone.
Detailed interactions with the Town Stone, Faction Stone, and Town Sigil are below:
- Right click and select Steal Sigil to steal the Town Sigil. The player stealing must have at least 80 skill in Stealing in order to perform this task.
- Right click and select Return Sigil if you have recaptured the Sigil from your enemy and wish to put it back.
- Right click and select Deposit Silver to deposit silver from your personal balance into the bucket of the Town Stone's balance, used for purchasing rewards (more below)
- Double click the stone to open the Management menu. This is where rewards are claimed (more below)
- Right click and select Join/Resign Faction to join or leave a faction
- If you are carrying a Town Sigil, right click the stone and select Deposit Sigil to put it into your Faction Stone
- If a Faction Stone has a Sigil, it can be restolen (with 80+ Stealing skill) by right clicking and selecting Steal Sigil
- Double click the stone to bring up the Leaderboard. This shows the global leaderboard as well as a leaderboard inside of just your own faction. This also shows which factions control which towns globally.
- A Town Sigil is an item you carry. It cannot be dropped or picked up. While carrying it, your character is turned purple
- You cannot recall, gate, or teleport in any way while carrying the Sigil. You must run to your destination.
- If a player carrying the Sigil is killed, their killer receives the Sigil.
- Upon stealing a Sigil from a stone, you have one hour (real world time) to deposit it to its next location, otherwise it returns to its last location. If you log out, it returns to its last location.
- You can pass the Sigil to a player in your same faction by double clicking the Sigil and targeting a player.
- Purple is the color you are looking for. If a stone or a player is carrying a capturable Sigil, it turns purple.
Several monsters in the world are associated with the three factions. Killing a mob whose faction is not your own will result in a reward of 30 Faction Silver. These monsters display the faction icon next to their names. Faction monsters will still attack their own associated faction players.
- Dragons are True Britannians
- Ogre Lords are Minax
- Daemons are Shadowlords
Every 80 hours, the Faction Pillar becomes active. This event is a King Of The Hill style event. Faction players must stay near the pillar and ward off other faction players nearby. This event lasts 30 minutes. The Faction Pillar lives in Destard Level 2.
Every 30 seconds, the pillar ticks and determines what Faction players are nearby. If only one faction is nearby (controlling), that faction and each individual player receives 2 points. If two factions are nearby (contested), each faction and player receives 1 point. If 3 factions are nearby, nobody receives points.
At the end of the 30 minutes, the points are tallied up, both total faction points and individual player points. Every player in the winning faction who participated receives 750 Faction Silver. The top 5 players with regard to points, regardless of faction, receive 250 Silver (which may be in addition to winning faction silver). You must be online at the end of the event to receive your reward.
Faction Silver can be spent in multiple ways:
- Players can purchase various NPCs in a town they control
- Faction Mage
- If a Faction controls a town, they can spend 10,000 Silver from their Town Stone to spawn a reagent vendor for 24 hours (real world time) (per 10,000 spent- you can do it as many times as you'd like if you have the Silver). This vendor only sells to the faction that controls the town.
- This vendor sells reagents at half price - currently that means 3gp per reg on this vendor. It behaves as a normal vendor- it will start with 80 of each and slowly work its way up to 999 as it restocks.
- After 24 hours, this vendor disappears and another must be purchased from the Town Stone.
- This silver is spent from the Town Stone- players controlling a Town Stone may deposit their personal silver into it
- Capturing a town gives 5,000 Silver to the Town Stone- the remainder must be deposited by players. The best way to gain personal Silver is killing opposing faction members.
- Faction Guard
- Spawns an NPC which will attack opposing faction members if they approach the town stone
- A Faction Store also allows players to purchase various rare items
- Silver can also be spent to craft faction gear with runic crafting (1000 Silver per craftable)